Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fiesta Gardens Quartet

Fiesta Gardens Quartet, 5 x 7 each

Friday night I participated in our most fun, annual art event here called "fiveXseven -Art Splurge and Exhibition". It's a big fund raiser for Arthouse, a contemporary art space in downtown Austin. Local artists donate pieces in a 5x7 format (2-D and 3-D, in every media imaginable) and these are sold anonymously for $100 each. We sign the paintings on the back only; and each is solely identified by a removeable label next to it with a number on it. The artists are only revealed to buyers upon purchase. The mystery and surprise adds to the fun.

What makes it really special, and a little crazy, is how the paintings are purchased. On opening night, attendees have an hour an a half to look around. This year there were 1500 pieces donated, so there was SO MUCH fabulous work to see. It's truly overwhelming! Then, right at 9pm, there is a countown to the buzzer... and everyone snatches the tags of the paintings they want. There is serious stalking and hovering; lots of bartering for position; and some all-in-good-fun grabbing. It's quite a scene.

Anyway, these are my "fiveXsevens", and I am happy to say they all got grabbed (except the last one, which was held back for the road show that goes on to Dallas and Houston.) I also did a little grabbing of my own - the barracuda in me comes out at this event! :)


Fiesta Gardens - Dawn, 5 x 7

Fiesta Gardens - Midday, 5 x 7

Fiesta Gardens - Dusk, 5 x 7

Fiesta Gardens - Evening, 5 x 7

12 comments:

Unknown said...

These are a hit with me - I love houses and colorist paintings. The event sounds like great fun, and an excellent way to raise funds for an art space.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Karen, love the way you've changed the colours of sky and building and everything still works r.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Laurel, I love this little series! The colors are eye popping! They are great to see as a group! Congratulations!

Jill Berry said...

Very interesting set of color exchanges. They do look nice as a set. But there's more where they came from.
Love the waterlilies too!

Barbara Muir said...

Wow, wow, wow Laurel. I just love this series. Love the colour, love the abstract design. Plus I would have loved to own them all and hang them in a row.
Just lovely. Super punchy colour.

XOXOXBarbara

Pam Holnback said...

I love these! The titles allow me to see how you see daily color temperatures. And, what a great fundraiser.

Stephen Parker said...

I'm especially partial to "Dawn."

Signed,
Barracuda Parker

Laurel Daniel said...

Thanks Guys, these were fun to do...

And many thanks to Barracuda Parker who grabbed and didn't let go of "Dawn"! I love that you will have it!

Jala Pfaff said...

These are adorable and that event sounds like a blast.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I would have wanted all four of these! Fantastic, Laurel. BTW, the former editors of Plein Air Magazine are thinking of re-publishing it again and sent out a survey asking who and what they'd like featured in the new magazine, and I suggested an article on you. Hope you don't mind. I think everyone else who follows your blog should suggest the same - if you didn't get the survey, email me and I can send you one!

Sandra Galda said...

wow this group of paintings are stunning! It is quite the twist on color studies of school days! love looking at your art. Now this is the way teachers should demonstate color studies!

Unknown said...

I'm liking these!