Saturday, November 13, 2010

Dockside

Dockside, L. Daniel, 6 x 8, SOLD


Back to paintings from Port Aransas on the Texas coast with Outdoor Painters Society... In the afternoon on that first windy day, we found a sheltered spot behind a building on the bay. This small shrimp boat was tied up to a wonderful, dilapidated dock. The scene had so much character; but it was tricky and I think I had to start over 4 times!!! Though it may sound counter intuitive, my final solution was to go smaller (I had been working on a 9x12). The reduced format forced me to simplify and got me over the hump. Whew!


See more Small Works

2 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Laurel,
I am a big admirer- always love your work and especially the St. Simons Island paintings. (My favorite place) You captured the area so beautifully. I really like the way you painted this boat- the composition is great and I love the soft quality of the painting.

Amy Hillenbrand said...

You definitely got over the hump, your little shrimp boat has tons of character and the colors are wonderful as usual.