Sunday, November 18, 2012

Garden Fiesta

Garden Fiesta, 8 x 6, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2012
SOLD

Often when I am teaching a class, I study the subject so carefully from all my students' viewpoints that I have no choice but to paint it myself when I get home. This piece (and the next one I will post) is one of those. After advising all morning about color solutions, editing and simplifying, and capturing the light and shadows; the scene was completely in my mind's eye. Back in the studio, I was able to paint what I remembered (with the help of photo references of course... my memory is not that good!) All the visual observations from the morning came flooding back the minute I picked up the brush. It reminded me how important it is to really LOOK and notice everything! 

See more Small Works

2 comments:

David Westerfield said...

Nice little one Laurel. You are right about the "looking." It's like the carpenter's saying: "Measure twice, cut once." We need to look twice, paint once.

Barbara Muir said...

So beautiful. It must be wonderful to be there in person. I like the contrast between the hot foreground and cool background. Superb painting.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOBarbara