Monday, January 25, 2016

Freshly Cut - And Show Tip #1

Freshly Cut, 20 x 20, oil on canvas, L. Daniel © 2016
Sold in Solo Show, "Chasing Color, Finding Light", Davis Gallery

I do love hydrangeas. There is something about their round shape, and delicate petals that just makes me swoon. This lovely bunch was freshly cut and ready to be put into some water. Unfortunately, by the time I finished my painting, they were no longer peppy enough for a vase. Thankfully, I had others to enjoy on the kitchen counter! This piece will be in my Davis Gallery show in April. 

A word about my show preparation process: Over the years, I have discovered that I work most efficiently when I have a good working plan. That's true for most things, right? In the coming weeks, I will share tips that help me get ready for an exhibit. One of my big goals is to cross the finish line without panic and worry. Hopefully, these tips will help other artists do the same. 

Tip #1 - Stock Up on Supplies
This may sound obvious, but stocking up on supplies is a huge pre-requisite for getting started. What does this include? Canvas, paint, mediums, brushes, and anything else I need for the process. I buy LOTS of canvas in a variety sizes and formats that I like working on, and I get it all gessoed and sanded. I also keep an extra full set of paints on hand at all times. Otherwise, running out for a tube of white or stopping to gesso a canvas really kills my momentum. I even stock up on frames - after all, I know what dimensions I will be painting, so why not be prepared?

1 comment:

Marilyn Flanegan said...

love your confident brushwork- can't wait to be just inches away from your paintings, Laurel.
: )