Monday, February 1, 2016

Tulip Dance - Show Tip #3

Tulip Dance, 16 x 16, oil on panel, L. Daniel © 2016
Sold in Solo Show, "Chasing Color, Finding Light", Davis Gallery

Have you ever noticed that tulips keep growing when you bring them home and put them in water? It's true, they get taller and begin a little dance. Check me on this - it's fun to watch. These crimson beauties graced us with quite a lovely show.


Show Tip #3 - Determine Subject Matter

As I create a show prep outline, I consider how many genres I want to include (still life, interiors, landscape, skies, etc), how many pieces I'll do of each, and what elements will hold them all together (size, style, palette). Early on in this process, I collect and organize my source materials, which include plein air studies, drawings, and photographs. Having those ready and "in the queue", so to speak, eliminates a lot of indecision later on. Once I start painting I can just go for it, and don't have to stop and search around for inspiration. 

Of course, changes DO happen in the process. One painting leads to another and my "queue" gets out of order. That is part of the navigation process. It may ultimately take a spontaneous and circuitous route, but I like knowing I have that overarching outline to return to!!! 


Here are links to other Show Tips:

Tip #1 - Stock up on Supplies
Tip #2 - Set up Deadlines

Painters - join me at this Plein Air Workshop:
April 28-30, Anderson Fine Art Gallery, St. Simons Island, GA
Contact Info: Mary Anderson, 912-634-8414

1 comment:

Sharon L. Graves said...

Love your show tip posts. They are so informative and inspiring. I think this is a super way to go about preparing for a show or the art I want to create in general. Thanks